Adventure-Based Therapy Helps Troubled Boys
Recover From Addiction at
New Adventure Treatment Center
About Adventure-Based Therapy
As the name implies, New Adventure Treatment Center provides adventure-based therapy, addiction treatment, and other non-traditional forms of treatment that have proven successful in over 50 years of our work with teenagers. We have a certified CrossFit gym, basketball court, a 15-element ropes course with dual zip lines, a fishing pond, and many other on-campus activities. We take advantage of the outdoors and regularly go camping, hiking, fishing, rappelling, rock climbing, and more. Our residents learn to integrate fitness and activity into their recovery and life management plan. They practice alternative/positive behaviors which support recovery and build excitement for the boy in preparing for their future.
How Does Adventure Therapy Help Troubled Teen Boys?
Adventure therapy uses outdoor recreation involving risk and physical and emotional challenges. Adventure therapy includes the use of adventure activities supported by traditional therapy. Often, adventure therapy is conducted in a group or family context, though increasingly, adventure therapy is being used with individuals.
Adventure therapy approaches psychological treatment through experience and action within cooperative games, trust activities, problem-solving initiatives, high adventure, outdoor pursuits, and wilderness expeditions. One can view challenges as significant in eliciting desired behavioral changes. Positive behavior changes, synonymous with psychological healing, can occur through various processes.
Adventure therapy is a type of experiential therapy that uses challenging adventure activities to aid the therapeutic healing process. Adventure therapy helps promote healthy identity development.
Benefits of Adventure Therapy
Experts say that adventure based therapy is quite beneficial to troubled teen boys because it makes them healthier and happier, and they do better academically. The various benefits include:
- Teens who experience an adventure learning environment tend to be more attentive and, therefore, better recollect the shared information.
- Consistent exposure to nature decreases stress and anxiety, helps elevate mood, and helps with emotion.
- Teens often have too much exposure to digital screens via televisions, computers, and cell phones. This can result in a “nature deficit disorder,” leading to obesity and possible psychological and academic issues. adventure learning allows at-risk teens to put their focus back on nature.
- Adventure learning environments naturally inspire teens to be more physically active.
- Exposure to bright sunlight in nature is also healthy for vision. Bright sunlight is necessary for the eyes to develop correctly, lowering the risk of nearsightedness.
- In adventure-based settings, teens are more motivated to work together in groups, which can improve their social skills. They learn to manage conflicts, communicate, and cooperate more effectively with peers.
- Adventure learning provides troubled teens with hands-on experiences in nature. Most teens learn better by using their senses. Outdoor environments offer the perfect place to do this. Instead of viewing different plants or wildlife on a computer or TV screen, they can see, smell, hear, and touch them in nature.
New Adventure Treatment Center’s adventure-based therapy helps troubled boys learn to listen, keep themselves safe, learn emotional regulation skills, and push themselves to overcome challenging tasks. The challenges students face through our adventure programming are designed to forge an identity, build character, and improve self-esteem.
Our staff has trained to facilitate adventure themselves. The same guides that live with students all week, building rapport and making connections, can instruct students during their adventure activities.
At New Adventure Treatment Center, we see several benefits:
- Identity development
- Trauma resilience
- Learning to self-advocate for needs
- A decrease in symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Increased self-efficacy
- Improved executive functioning
- Improved interpersonal skills
We focus on helping boys and their families through difficulties that occur when various emotional, behavioral, cognitive, or developmental issues are present. Research shows that engaging adolescents on a personal level with strategic and intentional adventure-based activities will aid in developing the tools and skills necessary to engage in living healthily and positively.
90-Day Addiction Rehab for Boys
Licensed Adventure-Based Addiction Treatment
If your son is struggling with addiction or life-controlling issues, the Teen Challenge® New Adventure Treatment Center provides effective specialized drug and alcohol addiction treatment, plus optional ongoing educational improvement, and behavioral therapy. We work with the whole person, solving the underlying initial causes of addiction, getting these addictive substances out of the boy’s system, and giving enough time, encouragement, and training to ensure the habit doesn’t return. We offer a complete solution for struggling teenage boys ages 14-17. Contact us today.
"NO WARRANTY" LEGAL NOTICE: While independent outcomes studies have shown very high recovery rates for indiviuals in our programs, we cannot guarantee recovery for any particular individual. Recovery and future abstinence from addicting substances and the effects that such substances may have on the individual or their life, actions, or their future are entirely dependent on the individual and how well they apply the principles we have taught them. We are an educational institution, and how the individual in our program learns from what they are taught and modeled here, is totally up to them. Individuals who stay the full term (until graduation) have much better long-term recovery from addicitons than those who do not.